20 January 2011

Planting the future

When I was little my Mammaw Shirley and Pappaw Toodlum decided they wanted to do something for me that would benefit my future.  While other grandparents start a college fund or go gaga over Gerber life insurance, mine decided to plant some ginseng.  You see, the Crumps were quite adept at finding ginseng, morel mushrooms, whatever they looked for.  A pretty penny could be made selling ginseng (and nothing's better than some fried morels) and they wanted the best for me. 

The ginseng was put in the ground at the edge of the woods right behind the house and through the years we would check on it.  Still there, growing along with me, things were as expected...then one year--no ginseng.  During the in-between years wild blackberry bushes showed up in the same area.  It was marvelous as blackberries are one of my favorite fruits (I have a blackberry story for another time) and yum, cobbler!  But, as things go, it turns out that blackberries and ginseng aren't the best of friends and yep, they killed each other...

No comments: